Little Red Retro


Our blog is all about
life as seniors, our love of camping and so much more. It's named after our sweet little red Riverside Retro RV - our very first camper. We hope to share ideas, campground info, recipes and just thoughts and feelings. At this stage in life we are going through so many changes and we hope to share our journey and learn from others as we navigate this time in our lives.

Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Can We Talk....Potato Soup and More....

I have been so lax in getting up our post about our week long trip in Little Red.  Just haven't been able to get the ole brain working.  😬  Every trip we take, I think that I will take a few minutes and give a little background on our journey, but the excitement of the travel takes over.  I don't share the details much but today I felt the need to put it out there for those who may be in a similar situation.  I hope that sharing may help those who have the same struggles.

I have some frustrating and complicated health issues that make camping .....um....somewhat interesting  Lets say that.  I have some structural problems like a lot of people our age - I'm 60.  Moving and manipulating can be a slow process but for the most part we do fine.  But...and this is a big one...I also have MCI.  Now if you don't know what that is then I am so happy for you because if it has entered your life through a parent, sibling, spouse or even yourself then you know what the deal is.  MCI stands for mild cognitive impairment.  I'm sure there could be a better name for it because for many of us mild just doesn't cut it.  Anyway, in my case it can make for frustrations that just don't make sense and Greg has to deal with that.  So far so good.

Greg surprised me when he moved ahead and ordered Little Red.  We had looked at vintage campers for years and had dreamed of owning one once he retired.  Last year I think he realized that we needed to do it now....while we still can.  For me, I can tell you that camping has been the best thing I could do for myself and for Greg.  It has brought me back to living in the now and truly helps me stay focused and moving forward.  Prior to getting the camper I had become a rocking chair Grannie ---- and I don't even have grandchildren.  😊  I can't explain it but I would recommend it to anyone dealing with any of these types of issues.  Get out there and enjoy life...don't waste a minute.

Okay ..now for main reason for this post.  Potato Soup....we are dealing with a cold snap here in SC and I'm not complaining because I know it's much worse in other parts of the country.  All kinds of potato soup is a staple around here.  We love it and it also gives us a break from meat once in a while.

This is my recipe and I just change it up depending on what I have on hand.  I made it today with just potatoes and carrots.  There are a few things that make it so much easier.  I try to keep gravy mixes like these on hand.  They
are great for thickening so many different things and they add so much flavor.  This type of bullion also makes a huge difference in taste and I love it.  You have to refrigerate it after opening but it is so worth it. 
With these two ingredients you can make lots of good stuff and they are great for camping if you like to cook.  I have thrown in chicken and corn and made chicken chowder. Another thing that goes with the soup so well are Red Lobster Cheddar Biscuits.  They turn out crisp and you can even break them into your soup.  Oh My!!!  Pot pies turn our great using these and crescent rolls.  Use your imagination and enjoy!!

If you've made it this far, thanks so much for listening to my rambling on.  The post on the Florida trip will be up soon.  Our next destination is Table Rock at the end of this month.  Looking so forward to this beautiful area!

No comments:

Post a Comment